Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Mid-Semester Stresses

I haven't been posting lately because it seems like (once again!) everything gets super busy all at the same time. Between school and the accompanying homework, actual work, babysitting, my soccer team, familial obligations, and a million other little things, I feel like I haven't had any time to even breathe, let alone wash the mountains of laundry piling up in my closet (seriously, my white jeans are at the bottom of the hamper). I realized that as important as all of these things are and as much as I really hate saying no to people, I need to start saying no to a few things. As much as I genuinely enjoy being busy and feeling fulfilled, the realization that the only time I'd spent awake in my apartment lately was my fifteen minute shower before bed, was a little depressing.

So when my coworker asked me to babysit last minute at work yesterday, I said no, even though I didn't have an event or obligation on my calendar. I'd blocked out the night for me time, which has to be equally important. I've always felt like I wasn't being productive if I wasn't actively doing something at that minute. This particularly bothers me during the school semester, when I feel like every spare minute should be spent reading or studying. But instead, this week I put in the extra time to read ahead in my classes for the entire week. And last night I put on my pajamas at 8, lit my new fall-scented candles, and watched Sex and the City re-runs on E! for a few hours from my bed.

And instead of feeling like I should be stressed about that fact or reading or studying or even washing the growing pile of dirty clothes I know will only get bigger, I reminded myself that it's important to take the time out from the laundry list of stresses and have me time to help keep myself balanced. Because in the long run, the two or three hours I gave myself last night will most likely not translate into a lower grade in any of my classes, but it will give me the strength and sanity to power through a study marathon this weekend instead of burning out.

Do you ever feel like everything gets busy all at once? It's like the old saying "when it rains, it pours" (which the weather is coincidentally doing now). How do you take time out from the stress?

No comments:

Post a Comment