Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Silver Lining

One thing I've realized over the past month is how to tell who your true friends are. It's not the ones that are there when everything is perfect and fun- it's the ones who are there to help you when everything isn't. A little over a month ago, I had a serious concussion- my second this semester. Because I'd had one already, it was severe and led to post concussive disorder. It was really tough to go from a full class schedule and working two jobs to being put on bed rest. I couldn't drive, I couldn't read or watch tv, I couldn't study. For me, it was the ultimate torture.
Regardless, the silver lining was that I learned was who was really there for me. I had friends that when I told them about my condition, offered to come by and spend time with me... and then I never heard from them again. These were people who I count among my friends, but weren't really there for me when it mattered. They aren't bad people, they aren't even bad friends- they just showed me that I shouldn't count on them for the big things.
Surprisingly, the people that I found I really could rely on were a few of my friends from high school who moved back to town and with whom I've only been back in touch for the past year or so. The goofy guys in their cartoon socks were the ones to stop by and pick me up for a change of scenery, to drop off dinner for me, and to let me know that they were there for me every step of the way while I recovered. I spent a lot of evenings wrapped up in a cartoon character blanket on their couch watching Monday Night Football. Not my choice of activity, but my choice of people. The greatest kind - the ones who step up and surprise you in the best possible way.
True friendship isn't about the people who write on your Facebook wall all the time, the ones you go shopping with, or even the ones that you talk to or text all the time. They're the ones that are there for you when times aren't so good. Life isn't always fun and games- sometimes it knocks you down - it's important to have people there who will help you get back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment